What is xCAT?
xCAT is Extreme Cloud Administration Toolkit, xCAT offers complete management for HPC clusters, RenderFarms, Grids, WebFarms, Online Gaming Infrastructure, Clouds, Datacenters, and whatever tomorrow's buzzwords may be. It is agile, extensible, and based on years of system administration best practices and experience. It enables you to:
- Provision Operating Systems on physical or virtual machines: RHEL, CentOS, Fedora, SLES, Ubuntu, AIX, Windows, VMWare, KVM, PowerVM, PowerKVM, zVM.
- Provision using scripted install, stateless, statelite, iSCSI, or cloning
- Remotely manage systems: lights-out management, remote console, and distributed shell support
- Quickly configure and control management node services: DNS, HTTP, DHCP, TFTP, NFS
- xCAT Scales - Beyond all IT budgets. 1,000s of nodes with distributed architecture
- Open Source - Eclipse Public License. You can also buy support contracts.
- More Installation Options - Install to Hard Disk, run stateless (Diskless), run diskless with a little bit of state (Statelite), install to iSCSI (no special hardware required), virtual machines (VMWare, KVM, Xen, PowerVM, zVM)
- Built in Automagic discovery - no need to power on one machine at a time to discover. Also, nodes that fail can be replaced and back in action by just powering them on